7 WINDOW TRENDS for 2018
It’s fall and the weather is still warm. Although leaves will soon begin to turn, there is still plenty of time to order replacement windows and get them installed in time for? cold weather the holidays.
So to help you with your window options, we thought we would share the current window trends…
It’s no secret that homeowners are veering more toward the modern and contemporary in their style choices. And that minimalism includes the window market, where it’s manifesting itself in the form of clean lines, simple shapes, dark colors, and more glass. Beyond looks, homeowners expect high performance, in the form of efficiency, functionality, and durability.
Here are seven window trends consumers are clamoring for:
- Black hues: Nothing says contemporary and clean like the simplicity of black and white. ?The biggest trend you can’t get away from is black windows,? says Jennifer Matson, product line manager for JELD-WEN. Everyone wants a black-on-black window. The color is gracing both the exterior and the interior, including the special order of black sashes. The trend can veer dramatic or, when combined with white or natural trim, be more subtle and create a modern farmhouse look.
- Clean lines: Consumers are seeking squared-off edges and crisp lines. In many cases, they’re desiring the look of aluminum/steel-framed storefront windows, but at a more palatable price point. Matson notes this is also driving more use of fixed, direct-set windows, as well as opting for casement units over double-hungs.
- Squares over arches: Likewise, while shapes remain popular, they’re decidedly rectilinear. Arched-top and similar curved shapes may appear dated for some of today’s more popular home styles.
- Expansive glass: The growth in outdoor living has driven demand for opening glass walls and lift-and-slide doors, as well as larger windows mulled together. From dramatic views to increased daylight, the benefits are appealing to both buyer and builder alike. And what was once a custom, luxury option out of reach to most homeowners is now available in mainstream models from a handful of manufacturers. JELD-WEN’s recently introduced vinyl multi-panel units are available with up to six panels and 24 feet wide.
- Pass-through windows: Even for homes without large sliding or accordion-style doors, slider, awning, or folding windows can create pass-throughs to the exterior. One popular application is from the kitchen to the deck.
- Energy efficiency: Energy-efficient windows are so popular now it’s hard to even consider them a trend. In fact, Matson says, ENERGY STAR certification has become an expectation and a requirement for many consumers.
- High-end woods: Wood windows are traditionally pine. The desire for a modern, clean appearance, as well as for something a little different, is driving demand for higher-end species. This includes species like white oak and mahogany, which boast a more subtle grain and a fine-furniture feel.
As homeowners continue to seek out simplicity, efficiency, and beauty throughout their homes, expect windows and doors to be no exception.
Let Tree Court Builders Supply help you with your window needs by calling one of our friendly customer service or sales reps at 636-225-7717. Click Learn More for more window and patio options by JELD-WEN.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!